Sunday, January 3, 2010

just downed an ice-cold cup of water

currently wearing a mountain goats t-shirt

it is grey with a picture of john darnielle

above john darnielle it says the mountain goats

john darnielle is boss

--

I currently read You Shall Know Our Velocity by Mr. Eggers and feel that it would be a diservice to not discuss it in my blog. I rarely feel that I understand books in the author's intended way. However, I can opnenly say that I feel I appreciated the novel in the same manner Eggers himself enjoyed it. Nothing was lost in my reading. Many times I feel I do not 'directly' understand the author's full intention, and find passages humorous when sadness was expected, but in You Shall Know Our Velocity this was not the case. I connected with the worldview, adventurous mentality, and wit-stricken thoughts of Will and Hand.

As Will begins to slowly but surely drop his newly inherited fortune (32,000) in creative nonconformist modes, I was right beside him, taking in the nuances of each native expression, and reciprocating his desire to give and explore. I reread pages 5 or 6 times to fully grasp each poetic articulation. (All of this captured in Eggers' matter-of-fact, no BS, witty style, a style I adore and strive to grow from).

Friends since youngsters, Will and Hand share a brother-like bond, and naturally their names go hand in hand (one of Eggers' many witty infusions). This results in many "escapades" that don't always leave Will in a healthy physical or mental state, but time, as we know, progresses and their friendship is always rekindled.

Attractive, and quick-witted, Hand is a suave, smooth-talking, male chauvinist always on the prowl. His prey consists of women, and the random facts he stores in his "data base" of a mind. (He constantly spews these facts to Will's disapproval). Will, on the flip side, is ugly and a full-time complainer. (Not to say that he doesn't add to the melting pot of wit and humor that brews).

Eggers, to me, has created a dynasty of wit-infused books that is rare, accessible, and altogether easily "addictive" in the sense that anyone, regardless of literary attentiveness or sophistication, can appreciate his writings. This, for me, is both good and bad, and probably largely a byproduct of his and Spike Jonze's Where the Wild Things Are.

There remains one more sing I wished to clutch on. Eggers' website McSweeneys illuminates the swirled with its coalescence and imaginal nature. That is tall.

(This last paragraph was my attempt at a poetic mixup to "lighten" the mood alittle. A haha would be appropriate, or, if you are not so inclined, just a furrow of the eyebrows).


Thank you.
Please be seated.




No comments:

Post a Comment